Garlic is used as a spice and known to add flavor to foods. The medicinal value of Garlic has been well appreciated by Sushruta, the father of surgery in his Ayurvedic manuscripts. However in Ayurveda, garlic was promoted to use as a direct application on the body and intake of raw and fresh garlic cloves.
Garlic and Doshas
- Garlic is sweet, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent. There are very few herbs and other ingredients that contain all the tastes.
- Garlic is one of the hotter herbs hence, people with Pitta dosha are recommended not to overuse garlic.
- Kapha dosha can use it generously to balance the dosha and increase the heat quotient in the body.
Medicinal Properties of Garlic
- Garlic and its medicinal properties is a long list. It is an effective anti-microbial ingredient. It is an anti-oxidant, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Garlic makes wonders when it comes to prevention and treatment of breathing diseases, diseases caused in cold season etc.
- Garlic improves the immunity and it is a blood purifier.
- The antioxidants in garlic prove to be beneficial to skin. Rubbing garlic on the skin is one of the ancient practices to prevent many skin conditions. For example rubbing on face cures acne and scars, reduces blemishes and scars on the face, and natural glow.
- Garlic is a pain reliever, helps in cramps, muscle pain, especially arthritis.
- Eating garlic is a boon to entire digestive system.
- Regular intake of garlic reduces and regulates the blood sugar levels, hence is a great herb for diabetics,
- It reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and prevents the blood clot hence reduces the risk of stroke.
- Eating raw garlic everyday improves the immune system and reduces the risk of developing cancer.
- It improves metabolic rate and can be very effective in promoting weight loss.
- Yoga for Nasal allergy